Powered By Blogger

Saturday 21 June 2014

Smug Alert

During one of the more unpleasant shenanigans which surrounded the takeover of the college where I used to work, one of my newly acquired colleagues decided to share her initial impression of me, "You seem quite smug" she advised me.

After I had recovered from a fairly feral reaction at her impertinence, I attempted to considered her remark in a more objective light. In the course of a twenty year career in senior management, the chances are that most forms of abuse have been hurled at you at one time or another. And indeed, I have been accused of all kinds of unpleasant things over the years, many  no doubt deserved. No one, however, had ever accused me of smugness. This interested me.  Perhaps it was intended as a complement, with retirement looming maybe I should have taken it on board as a characteristic to be worked towards, an aspiration, something for the bucket list.   

Today has been one of those rare, perfect June days when the British  weather failed to disappoint. Wall to wall blue - without mysteriously becoming pallid and muggy; perfectly still - without a sharp sea breeze blowing in suddenly mid-afternoon to get people huddled behind windbreaks agreeing that it had indeed been prescient to pack a cardigan. A fellow camper passed by   and commented, "I couldn't get used to this, not  a cloud in the sky." I took this as mild irony and replied brightly, "it's like the Dordogne in Wales!" He stared at me somewhat bemused, I don't think he'd ever heard of the Dordogne; moreover, I realised he was being perfectly serious, he really did consider the weather too good to be true, and a bit of a let down as there was nothing to moan about to oil the wheels of phatic grumbling. Funny lot the English.

But I'm proving my continental credentials here: the weather is fabulous, the van great, the electric bikes inspired purchases, whisking us as they did along he coast road, beside the deep blue Menai Straights with Snowdonia in the background bathed in golden sunlight; this evening's BBQ was yummy ( cooked up on the Cadac -another inspired purchase!); my nearest and dearest is looking happy and relaxed ('all good', as she says).....

I feel odd, a little peculiar, out of sorts, what can it be?

Blimey! I've done it..... I'm finally feeling smug.....

The van is great.....



The bikes are great...



The weather is great...



smug alert!!!!!

No comments: